>> Thursday, April 21, 2011
Dear Easter Bunny,
If you would be so kind as to hide some of these yummy carrot mini-cupcakes on a stick instead of the traditional hard boiled eggs, I would be forever in your gratitude.
mom to Autumn and Jack
But seriously, why not hide these too? Please be sure it's not a super hot day with the cupcakes in the sun for hours, cause yuck! Just bake and frost as usual, refrigerate until the frosting is set. Poke a small hole in the bottom, either with a skewer or knife, and insert a lollipop stick. Small 3 or 4 inch wide cellophane party favor bags work perfectly, tied with a bit of ribbon or string at the bottom.
Stick them directly in the soil, or add them to planter pots filled with rice, beans, styrofoam blocks or oasis florist foam. I used these small green and yellow pots from the dollar bin at Target, but any terracotta or galvanized pot will do.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
adapted from Sweet Melissa’s Baking Book
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound carrots, grated medium fine
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
1. in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the eggs at high speed until light and frothy, about 1 minute. Decrease the speed to medium and add the oil, sugar, and salt, and mix until just combined. Decrease the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
3. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the carrots.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
5. Bake 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.