WE'VE MOVED. . . come on over to our new website and blog!

Red, White and Blue Cake

>> Wednesday, May 25, 2011



What with Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day right around the corner, even my dreams have been in Red, White and Blue!

Let me take just a moment of your time to share a little cake I threw together. All you need: box of cake mix (plus the egg and so forth), cake pan (small medium or large will do), a batch of butter cream (although can of frosting would work just as well), and some Patriotic Nonpareils.

First, bake your cake layers - as directed - and after a bit of cooling time, you will want to slice off the top bump to make flat on the top. I find a long serrated knife works best. For this cake, I used a 6 inch round and I baked up three of them (still only 1 box of mix) I also used a 6 inch cardboard round as a base.




Next, after whipping up your batch of butercream frosting, use a bit to fill between layers, then do a crumb coat. That is, completely cover your cake in a thin layer of frosting to keep all the crumbs in. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.

 Buttercream Frosting
    •    8 oz. unsalted softened butter
    •    4/5 c. powdered sugar
    •    2 T milk
    •    2 t. vanilla extract
    •    2 t. fresh lemon juice
In a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, add 1/2 the powdered sugar plus all of the other ingredients. Beat until moistened. Add the rest of the powdered sugar. If the frosting is still too thick, you can add a tiny bit of milk at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.





I do find that this next part works best if you are using some kind of rotating cake stand. Coat the sides and top of the cake fairly thickly with your remaining frosting, then, get out your Dritz EZY-hem guide (I know, right?). Hold it parallel to the side of the cake, lightly pressing into it, turning the cake at the same time - drag that hem guide and smooth the frosting out. Cool huh. Wish it was my idea.

And now? the FUN part! I ended up taking the cake outside, because I knew clean up would be super fast using the hose. You could certainly do this inside, but, I'm not coming over to pick up a zillion tiny red white and blue balls off the floor.








Voila! You should totally make this. Add a printable party, or printable photo booth prop set to match and you will be the talk of the block.

3 comments:

Holly May 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

that is a great looking cake. i am terrible at making cakes, but yours looks easy enough AND i have red, white and blue jimmies.
looking forward to working on my scuba party!

Lorie May 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

The cake is beautiful! And your nonpareil technique is fabulous@

Lora May 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM  

Simple and fun, thanks for sharing the idea! Also I LOVE that cake stand!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Paper & Cake

Followers